Sunday, February 21, 2016

San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo

I have been a fan of rodeo for a long time. I'll admit I didn't know much about it until I was in middle school or high school. It wasn't until college that I really got interested in it. My son is named after rodeo legend Lane Frost (the movie that 8 Seconds is based on). I can name a handful or so of rodeo professionals. To some, I might not be a die hard, but I am a fan nonetheless and I have a respect for the sport and athletes.


This weekend, my fiancé and I took our son to his very first rodeo. It was the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo. I couldn't wait to see Lane's reactions to the various events. Granted he's only 1 years old, but still, he gets excited at a lot of things. Especially when he sees animals.

We showed up early to see a lot of the exhibits at the AT&T Center where the rodeo was being held. There was a wild life area where we were able to see animals that live in the wild. Lane liked seeing the animals and also some of the deer heads on the wall. *My fiancé likes to hunt and fish and has had some of the deer horns mounted, so Lane gets excited over that.*

In some of the buildings where FFA and 4-H members show their livestock, we were able to see some of what hadn't been taken home yet. Lane was able to see horses, pigs, cattle, sheep, and goats. He liked the horses.


After about an hour of walking around, it was time to make our way to find our seats for the rodeo. I'm afraid of heights and our seats were very high up. We stayed in our seats for an hour before the rodeo started. The light show and the entrance of the flags was so amazing. A military veteran sang the National Anthem. That was awesome! Lane wasn't too sure about the light show though.

I really enjoyed watching the mutton busting (kids ages 4-7 hold on tight and ride sheep out of the chutes). There were about 10-12 kids that rode. The first girl that rode did great. She ended up winning a belt buckle for holding on the longest or having the best performance.


Naptime doesn't discriminate. It doesn't matter if it's your first rodeo or not. Lane slept for close to 3/4 of the rodeo, through all of the loud music, cheers, and buzzers. I just wish he could've seen more of it. But I know I'll be able to take him to more rodeos as he grows up and that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment