Monday, February 29, 2016

Asking for Donations

When my son was born last year, he spent 10 days in the NICU. After I was discharged, he still had to stay several more days. That was the hardest, most heartbreaking thing ever, especially as a brand new first time parent, to leave my son alone there without me. I cried the whole way home.
 
When Lane was about 6 months old, I got to thinking I wanted to be able to do something for those little babies in the NICU and for their parents. I wanted to be able to give the babies anything from blankets, hats, clothes, etc. I've gotten to thinking lately about what to do for the parents.
 
I thought of putting several items in a gallon size zip lock bag (or a nicer bag if I can find one). These items include:
  • lotion
  • hand sanitizer
  • toothbrush
  • toothpaste
  • shampoo
  • conditioner
  • snacks
  • notebook/pen
  • gift cards
  • Kleenex
  • bottle water
  • chapstick
I even started a Go Fund Me page called Love From Lane. I'd like to be to use the money to purchase the supplies listed above to make at least 100 care packages.


Parents of babies in NICU spend a few days to several months there. I want to let them know they are not alone. The last few days that Lane was in NICU, I started talking with another couple whose daughter was a few cribs over from us. Their little one was born premature and had already been there at least a month if not more. I was able to see them a few months later at the NICU reunion the hospital puts on every year. I was so happy to see their daughter look so healthy.


Some of the families that have a child in NICU may not have a lot either. They more than likely have jobs they will eventually have to go back to. If their baby has to spend months in the NICU, it can wear on the parents emotionally and financially (depending on what and how much insurance covers). Parents start talking to the other parents around them in the NICU because they tend to spend so much time there watching over their babies. These little friendships are great because you know someone else at least understands or has a small idea of what you are going through.


If you are interested and able to donate, please check out my Go Fund Me page (Love From Lane). I would greatly appreciate it and I know the families will too. Thank you all so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment