Saturday, November 2, 2013

Southwest Beef Stew

As the colder weather comes, I enjoy seeing the colors on the trees change. I also look forward to colder weather because I feel it gives me a reason to make soups, stews, etc. I like trying different soups. This fall/winter, I'm going to try soups that I can eat, put a serving in the fridge for dinner or supper the next day, and then freeze the rest for a later time. This way, I don't feel like I'm being rushed to eat it all before it goes bad.

With this recipe, that is what I did. I set some back for the next day and put the rest in freezer bags. I'm also stocking my freezer in the process. I did enjoy this recipe. I thought it was delicious and fairly simple to put together.

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onions*
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup picante sauce
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheese

Directions:

Cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, corn, beans, picante sauce, water, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until corn is tender. Top with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment